Monday, November 29, 2010

Week3: Modeling, Unwrapping, and Texturing

Due to time contraints I wasn't able to go back and re-work previous sections of the project so I'm pushing forward. My modular pieces are complete and I've begun constructing my level.


As I began creating my scene I chose base textures that I would use for each piece. Ussually, what I like to do to centralize my UVs before I begin unwrapping is I do a simple box UV map modifier. Considering the nature of Unity, I decided to attempt importing the textures onto my objects without fully unwrapping my objects. Sure enough, the information retained through the UVW Mapping modifier! Surely, there is probably some limitations to doing it this way such as shadows or light not functioning properly, however, I added a light to my scene and this is the results:




With this new method I'm attempting I'm focusing on making seamless textures instead of Unwrap UVWing every object. Specific objects that are modular and would be acceptable to a single simple texture, I may leave just the way it is. However, for more complex objects such as the monoliths, I still need to unwrap and create a custom texture design for. I don't particularly feel comfortable using this method because I'm unsure of the results, however, I feel a lot of this project is focused on experimentation and I'm very interested to see the results of this method. If it works the way I imagine, it could save me a very large amount of time on the more basic objects. Though, it is too limiting to use on the more complex objects.




No comments:

Post a Comment