Monday, December 13, 2010

Week 5 (Final) Scripting and Final Touch-ups

To begin my conclusion, I have to say I'm extremely satisfied with what I was able to accomplish in such a short amount of time. This is expressing the hard time constraint.

I spent a majority of this week focusing on adding flavor to the game. Tweaking lighting, creating interactive objects, and most of all, designing a third person character, as well as scripts to interact with the person.

I followed the Unity 3D plat-former tutorial almost word-for-word. I can honestly say I've read almost all 122 pages of the PDF.

I had almost no trouble getting the applications found within the PDF to work, however, getting everything to work in my scene was a completely different story, and many headaches worth of work to troubleshoot.

I was able to do things I didn't expect to add, I couldn't do certain things I wanted to do, and certain aspects still feel unfinished. However, overall, I'm happy with the results.

What I was successful of creating:

-Creating a Third Person character from scratch
     -Created a custom character
     -Created custom character interactions (Wall jumping, Punching)
     -Created a custom mouse control system

-Created a HUD
     -Created a system that represents current HP on display.
     -Created a system that represents current Fuel cells.
     -Created a system displaying remaining lives.

-Created Enemy AI
     -Created a script to interact with the player
     -Created enemy AI animations to occur under specific circumstances
     -Created enemy to have specified HP functions.
     -Created ability to follow target.

-Created Particles
     -Created a particle prefab hiearchy system .
     -Created particles to respond under certain conditions.
    
-Created Movers
     -Scripted an object to move at a set value infinitely.
  
-Created GUIskin
     -Created a system to show start menu and game over.

-Created Terrain
     -Created multiple layers of textures within a Terrain.


Here's a few things I feel I've comfortably mastered in this short amount of time:

-Prefabs
-Collision
-Hierarchy systems
-Adjusting values in-game to tweak optimization values.
-Recognizing scripts
     -Coding script input channels
     -Troubleshooting coding script errors.
     -knowledge of Int, Bool, True/False systems
-Particles
-Terrain editor
-Object Animation creations
-Creating custom first and third person controllers
-Using the GUI Skin system.

Here's a few things I attempted but was not successful at creating:

-Projectiles
-Respawn catcher
-Keybindings
-Camera Collider
-Recreating enemy AI
-Opacity maps :(
-destructable objects (without model swapping)

Lastly, what would a good blog post be without some screenshots





This is a screenshot of some of the scripts I used.



Lastly, here's what gave me the biggest hang-up in the entire project. Somewhere in here, there's something wrong that won't allow the AI to function properly, Also I had to re-create all the animations off the take001 animation:



My last words on this project, I'll absolutely continue working on this project, probably sooner than others. At first I didn't approve of using Unity for the second half of the quarter, but I've heavily enjoyed it and personally, I prefer Unity over Unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment